Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Yummy Yogurt and other Food Adventures

Greetings from LA. Edwin went home on Monday morning, but I stayed for work. I'm in training until Wednesday. While I was here, I had dinner with my grandparents and Uncles Jason and Edwin and Aunts Emily and Tung Fan. I'll post a photo when I get a chance.

I also got to hang out with Binh who took me to a few new restaurants in the area. She took me to a place called
Phoenix Food Boutique which had some really yummy looking food for very affordable prices. I only wish that I hadn't just finished eating dinner. We ordered a shark fin like soup, clams in a sesame chili oil, noodles with braised beef, mango mochi, pecan cookies, lychee panecotta, and fried calamari. Did I mention that I already ate? All this for under $25. I'm in heaven- or hell, since I couldn't eat very much and it looked so good. We went to the one in Alhambra, but there are quite a few in SoCal. I hope that they open one up in NorCal soon.

Tonight, Binh took me for some Cuban food at a place called Versailles. I haven't had decent Cuban food in long time. My favorite Cuban restaurant is in Miami and is coincidentally also called Versailles. We had the lemon chicken, a combo with oxtail and beef tongue, and of course fried plantains and black beans. I normally really like black beans, but I didn't really like the black beans here because of the cilantro. Binh tells me that is a hereditary thing. It was good, but then we went to this cool new dessert place called Pinkberry. Here is a hilarious LA Times article about how the place started and has generated the city of LA much revenue via parking tickets issued for illegal parking around the original location. We went to the one on Berendo (and Sixth) street in Koreatown. Here are some pics. Doesn't it make you want to drool? If there has been one sin that I have been guilty of this week, it's gluttony. From the spa to all this eating. It's just gluttony. I wouldn't mind doing it all over again if only my pants still fit! I had the vanilla with mango, strawberry, and carib while Binh had the green tea yogurt with raspberry, blueberry, and mango. So delish. No wonder they call it crackberry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gimme a good few months to work off all the food I ate in the past few days and you can come down again. ;)

There's an El Pollo Inka out in Gardena, I think we should hit up Peruvian next time.

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget "I wish I liked my natural hair color." Response: "I wish I knew my natural hair color!"

Anyhow, I just cleaned the bathroom and the red nail polish is looking quite ghetto now. But it was SOOO worth it! : )

xo, mh