Friday, May 30, 2008

Sex in the City

So last Friday, we had a girls night to celebrate the premiere of the Sex in the City movie. Michelle, JoJo, Nikki, Matilde, Jeannette and I headed over to Bay Street in Emeryville for a little shopping, a little dinner, and then the movie. We had dinner at PF Changs. The funniest part was that the entire restaurant was all women. Guess that we weren't the only ones with that idea. I had originally tried to get us tickets at the Metreon, but they had sold out weeks in advance. Even on Bay Street, the 7:30 showing had sold out, so we got tickets for the 10:30 show.

As with most premieres, we had to wait in line for seats. Matilde and I got in line while the rest of the women went to get their parking validated. We had a close call when they started letting us in and everyone hadn't arrived in line yet, but then they got to us just as we were entering the theatre. When we got to our theatre, there was pandomonium. Everyone was trying to save seats. We didn't get seats in the back half of the theatre, so we headed to the furthest aisle we could get from the front which turned out to be the 4th row. As we got in our aisle, pregnant Jeannette gets body checked by another woman trying to get into a seat. (Picture grown women playing musical chairs...) Then, we realize that we only have 4 seats and we need 6, so we ask politely to the woman who had rammed into Jeannette to move over 2 seats. (There were 2 empty seats next them.) Her reply to us was, "No, I'm not moving. I actually like this seat."

WHAT???? Who does that? I was in shock. I said to her out loud, "I don't think that I have ever met anyone so rude in my life! Yes, I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU!" as I pointed to her. "First, you ram yourself into a pregnant woman." So she replies, "I didn't know she was pregnant. I'm sorry." Um, DOES IT MATTER if she's pregnant or not? Jeannette graciously says, "That's fine, but that's not the only reason why we think you're rude." Rude woman then has the nerve to say, "Well, I'm just trying to enjoy what is supposed to be a fun night and I can't help it if you have 20 people with you." I had to bite my tongue from telling her how selfish she was (and how I know that she can't count to 6 but...) so I just tell her "I'm trying to have fun as well, but you're preventing that. We have 6 people, not 20."

My friends call me fiesty- I say I'm just fiercely loyal. Maybe I am, but I get really upset when I feel like my friends have been offended. I think that I might get more upset when it happens to my friends than when it happens to me. I don't normally think of myself as a violent person, but I could have seen myself throwing things at this woman.

I remember in Hong Kong when we saw a movie that you got a seat number when you purchase your ticket. I think that it would help in situations like these. I don't know why we don't do that here. Then we wouldn't have to wait in line either.

The movie itself was good. Has all the components of a good chick flick- you laugh, you cry. The only storyline I didn't really buy was Samantha's. She just seemed out of character in this movie. All in all, it was like seeing an old friend- so familiar, so comfortable, and you can never spend enough time with them.

No comments: