Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Housekeeping Camping in Yosemite

For Memorial Day weekend, we went camping in Yosemite. This was my second trip to Yosemite. We were originally going to stay the entire weekend, but we came back early on Sunday night because of the rain and cold weather. We still managed to do quite a bit of hiking. Jimbo, our wedding DJ and friend, organized the trip.

We stayed at Housekeeping Camp which is slightly better accommodations than sleeping in a tent. It was made of 3 cement walls and a canvas wall. We got to sleep on mattresses and rented sheets and blankets. Here's a hilarious Yosemite video that they show to campers when they check in which I like to call Bears Gone Wild.


Jeannette (Edwin's sister) and Jon also went. They kicked off their move to the Bay Area by going with us to Yosemite. On Saturday, we started off easy and hiked to see Yosemite Falls and Mirror Lake. Both of those hikes were relatively flat. If I had known how difficult hiking to Nevada Falls was going to be, I probably would have not gone. When we came to Yosemite the last time, we had also hiked Vernal Falls, so I knew that was something I could do even though it was steep. I remembered seeing old people and people with strollers do that hike.

I have to say that Jeannette has got to be one of the strongest women I have every met. She was 8 months pregnant and hiked both the Misty trail and John Muir trail to see both the Vernal Falls and the Nevada Falls. According to the Yosemite website, these trails are moderate and strenuous. We hiked for about 7 hours on Sunday. It was one of the longest hikes I have ever done. It's hard to complain when you have a woman who is 8 months pregnant hiking in front of you. Everyone who passed by us was amazed how Jeannette was climbing these steep trails. Here are some pictures from our trip.


More pictures from Jimbo: http://www.elphotoloco.org/gallery.php?gallery=16&photo=1

We also finally finished painting the bedroom. It seemed to take forever. We took a lot longer because we also painted both the ceiling and the trim which we haven't done in any other room. There were also more crack repairs that were required in this room as well. It seemed to take us even longer than the guest bedroom which had wallpaper removal. I'm loving the color- Bali Blue. We still need to do some touch up and paint the trim in the hallway and guest room, but it will probably be a little while before we get to it. I'll post pics a little later.

No comments: