Monday, May 05, 2008

Derby Days and Days Gone By

It seems like a long time since I last posted. Last week was a really busy week at work and I was working at home a few nights to complete a deliverable I had due. Now that is over and I can return to my normal schedule. Jeannette also came to visit and so we were busy hanging out with her. We visited her new house a few times this weekend and attended my first Derby party. Who knew the Kentucky Derby was this weekend? I knew Cinco de Mayo was coming up, but who really follows the Kentucky Derby unless you're in Kentucky?

We also helped celebrate Kai's first birthday. It was so cute to see him so excited about the balloons and toys. Like Maika, I think that he did realize that it was his day. That kid is too cute. Pictures to be posted later.

While we have completed our remodel, we are still doing a few things around the house. We have started preparing our bedroom to paint it. It is the last room to be painted and rivals the guest bedroom in difficulty which had the wallpaper. Our bedroom doesn't have wallpaper, but it does have quite a few cracks that need repair. It is also more a pain because we had to move out all of the furniture, so our house is again a mess. We have decided with this room that going forward, we will be paying someone else to paint. We know it's not a question of ability or even money, it's the cost of our time and energy. There are some people out there who enjoy this stuff. It's not that we don't enjoy it, it's just that it takes us so long to figure out how to do something that we have never done before that we get frustrated.

I also ran into an old friend from NYC this past weekend. She was someone that I lost touch with and it was a little awkward. I don't know why we stopped being friends, but neither of us made the comment that we should keep in touch. I was in shock that she recognized me after 8 years because I don't know that I would have recognized her. I was also shocked that she approached me because we didn't end on the best of terms. We didn't have a fight, but she stopped talking to me one day. We had the equivalent of a friend break-up and she left me. I'm not sure how this might be different from running into an old boyfriend who dumped you (since that never happened to me before), but it made me think about all the good times we had. It made me wonder why she even acknowledged me when she saw me this weekend. Jeannette thought it was her way of apologizing, but I'm not so sure. If she wanted to renew our friendship, wouldn't she have offered to keep in touch? From my brief conversation with her, it sounded like she was in town on a project at Safeway and that she was in town quite often. She also mentioned hanging out 2 weeks ago with my cousin Amy who I introduced to her. Any thoughts from you all on why she might have approached me after all this time?

No comments: