Thursday, August 16, 2007

We're Movin' on Up... to the East Side (Bay)!

Sujay has started calling us the Jeffersons. Remember the theme song? It does seem to fit. I've started packing. We still have all the boxes from when we moved in. I think we moved in with about 65 boxes, so I'm thinking that we'll have about 80 boxes when we move out. I'm aiming to pack at least 2 boxes per day. I know that only means 60 boxes until moving day, but I figure Edwin should pack at least 20, right? :) So I've packed 4 boxes so far- only 56 more to go.

We went back to the house last night to measure all the rooms. We've been thinking a lot about all the renovations that need to get done and the first step is to figure out how much room we have to play with. It seems so hard to figure out what to do first and whether or not we should refinish the floors before we move in since we don't want them to get them all messed up with the kitchen renovations. What to do? We're headed to Home Depot for some ideas this weekend.

Has anyone been reading all of the news about how bad the mortgage industry is doing lately? We read this article about how hard it is now to get a loan. We're thankful that we locked in a loan 2 weeks ago. We're going to sign the papers on Tuesday. Yikes. I guess I'll be glad to have this part over with and being another step close to home ownership.

2 comments:

Bo said...

I would HIGHLY recommend you do the floors before you move. Here are my reasons why 1) It takes a good two - three days for the varnish to dry and you'll want to have 2- 3 layers to make sure it last. That's 3 x 3 days = 9 days. Probably longer. That's 9 days of not being able to walk on your floors. Can I tell you how much the varnish stinks? Plus, you'll probably have to sand down the floors before you varnish. That creates A LOT of dust. You don't want it getting into any of your furniture. I redid my floors before I moved but visited the contracters throughout the process. Boy it was stinky and messy. Plus, if you do them after you move in, you'll have to do each room seperately and you'll have to move the furniture in and out of each room everytime you start. Floors are probably the one thing you DON'T want to wait to do. Some friends redid their floors after they moved in - boy, they learned the hard way that it wasn't the right order.

Another piece of advice, try to do as much work as you can to the house before you move in. You might even think about extending your lease on your apartment for one more month and do more work on the house. Doing renovations once you move in takes twice as long, can be twice as expensive, and is more complicated. You end up putting things off. Had I renovated my bathroom before I moved in, I'd have a new bathroom with little hassel. I still haven't touched the room in the 2+ years I've owned my place.

Even though it's hard to swallow paying out more money to do the renovations early - particularly after just putting up so much money to buy the place - it's really worth doing the work up front if you can afford it. Just my experience.

Anonymous said...

I came across this blog that might be useful as you go about renovating your place.

http://www.1912bungalow.com/