Wow! What a busy weekend. I can't believe that it already over. On Friday, we went to a dinner/performance art event called Supper Club with Steve and Pablo. It has been compared to Cirque du Soleil, and I could see why they would say that, but I don't think that it was quite the same. They basically have all these beds that you can lounge on and eat your dinner. In the middle of the floor they have some random performances and a really great DJ so you can actually do a little clubbing as well. (They open the doors to the general public around 11:30 and it becomes a dance club.) Our favorites were the scallops and the tomato and crouton salad.
On Saturday, we went waterskiing, wake boarding, and inner tubing at Lake Berryessa. We rented a boat and also had a picnic area set up with a BBQ. It was a very warm day and it was nice to be in the water. This is my second time waterskiing and it was not much better than my first attempt at Corrine's bachelorette. Edwin, of course, was one of the better waterskiiers. (Naturally.) I heard that Jamie was probably the best. Matilde, Show, and Tom were able to try the wakeboard. I stuck to the inner tube. I'll post some pics soon.
We also went to the house today to inspect it with another general contractor and also our architect friend Bhavana. We didn't find any surprises, but we spent about 4 hours there looking around and talking about it. We're not quite done and will probably look at it again, but so far, I don't see anything that would make me think twice about buying it. It was more about trying to figure out what we want to do with it and the order of priority for all of the projects that we will inevitably have to tackle. (Where to begin when there is so much to do?) Part of me thinks that this may be fun. Part of it will be shear torture. It's hard to justify things like bolting down the foundation, adding insulation, doing a sewer later, or changing the furnace when nobody ever sees that stuff- especially when there is so much cosmetically that could be improved. We're still thinking that we will refinish the hardwood floors, buy a refrigerator, and paint. But now we are thinking that we may finish the basement sooner rather than later so that we have more living space and add a 3/4 bath. In order to do that, we will need to replace the furnace, move the sump pump (like I even know what that is!), put flooring down, and drywall up. Then maybe we could redo the upstairs bath because then we would have another bathroom to use. I'm still thinking about applying to HGTV so that they could redo our kitchen...
So today is my birthday. I told Edwin that I thought it might be fun to have some people over to the apartment because we haven't had people over in a while. I can't even remember the last time. So we sent out an evite last minute last weekend and I didn't think that many people would come since it was a Sunday and with less than a week's notice. But we ended up cramming 25 people into our apartment plus 3 babies and a toddler. I wonder if that is some kind of record for this place. I was afraid that we might run out of food, but I think that there was enough for everyone. We were able to use a lot of the leftovers from yesterday's BBQ. And then we started cleaning out our cupboards. (After all, we're probably moving in about a month, so the more people eat, the less we have to move, right?) We still have a lot of leftovers. It was a fun time and a good way to tell people that we were going to be moving (for the people who are not loyal blog readers like yourself! :) ) We broke out some of the platters and dishes that we had received as wedding gifts, so it was cool to be able to use it. I was dismayed to see one of my favorite platters got chipped when I pulled it out of the cupboard. I didn't chip it, but it had been chipped probably because we have a bunch of platters stacked on top of each other. We ended the evening playing Set and Cranium. Now I know why we are all friends- we are all geeks! All in all, it was a great way to celebrate my 32nd birthday. It was just great to be able to hang out with people.
Sunday, August 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Happy birthday Michelle! Not that I've ever been able to be around for it. :P
Thanks for the bday party!
BTW, IMHO, it's always better to do as much work on the house ASAP, preferably before you move in. Once you get into the place and settled in, it's much harder to motivate to remodel, and it's much more of a pain to do it. That was my experience with my condo in Chicago. So - do as much as you possibly can up front.
Post a Comment