Thursday, April 10, 2008

Free Tibet! No Torch(ure)!

So the Olympic torch was in SF this week. It was supposed to run down the Embarcadero according to this map. However, because there were so many protesters against China, they re-routed the path at the last minute along Van Ness. It was kind of absurd. I heard that someone in Paris grabbed the torch from the runner. I just don't feel like people should use the Olympics as this platform. Countries have been doing it for a long time, but I just feel like it's supposed to be about sportsmanship and the athletes. This is the time that we are supposed to lay down the arms and forget about the things that countries disagree on.

Here's a hilarious newclip from CBS about how some of these protesters for "Free Tibet" don't even know where Tibet is:



Anyway, here are some pictures I took with my coworker Renee. Note the police squad ready for a battle. I'm surprised they didn't have shields. People in SF love to protest. Free Tibet. Free Burma. Free Turkistan. What would people here do without the protests?

Olympic Torch 2008

No comments: