Monday, May 14, 2007

Greetings from Lewiston, Idaho!

This year, I will be visiting several states that I have never been to. This week, I am in Idaho to visit a client. So far, so good. It was interesting to pull out of the airport parking lot straight into suburbia. So weird to have the runway on one side and a Little League baseball field on the other. We had to connect in Seattle and get on a puddle jumper to arrive in Lewiston which is literally 5 miles from the WA border. We got off the plane in Idaho, but our hotel (Quality Inn) is located in Clarkston, WA. There are these really nice mountains in the landscape and the town is really along 2 streets. I expected to see more chain restaurants like in TX, but there really weren't that many. We even had dinner at what seemed like a local restaurant called Tomato Bros. I don't know what I was thinking ordering seafood here, but the halibut was quite nice. Maybe since we are close to WA, the seafood is fresh? (I was going for the healthy option.)

There were no potato farms in sight, so I had to purchase my souvenir potato at the local Albertsons as if I was shopping at home. Are potatoes allowed on planes? I mean, technically, I could build a potato bomb, right? Well, I guess I could ask the ticket agent/security inspector/baggage claim handler, right? JK! There isn't just one person running the whole "airport." However, I think that there is one gate and the baggage claim is right next to the gate which is convenient. (Come to think of it, I don't think that it ever gets used because you pick up your bags when you walk off the plane onto the tarmac...) It is eerily similar to the airport set that was used in the old TV show called Wings.

Anywho, I got a kick out of the Hertz rental car agent who gave mass instructions to everyone in line on how to arrive at the Quality Inn from the airport. (A 5-minute drive and apparently one of the only hotels in the area.) Couldn't we just caravan?

Anywho, next month, we'll be visiting our sisters in AL and NC. 2 new states in one week! I guess that I'm giving up my international vacations for more local ones. I guess that there are plenty more states that I haven't visited. I'll have to put together my list of states that I still have never visited. Does driving through or layovers count?

No comments: